<VV> Doc opinion

Bob bgilbert at gilberts-bc.ca
Sat May 16 20:34:17 EDT 2015

Hi,
And on a somewhat related note, I seriously damaged a freshly built 3.1 in
my UltraVan about 18 months ago. I did all the required deflashing, etc. but
made a huge mistake in not installing additional cooling power in the form
of an external oil cooler. No problem for short trips around home but on the
first long trip, up a multi-mile very steep hill in the Rockies with a full
load of vacation supplies I cooked the oil and damaged all 6 pistons and
cylinders beyond repair. An expensive lesson and with 20:20 hindsight
totally preventable.
So cooling is VERY important when you stress Corvair engines beyond their
normal "in-car" mode.
Regards,
Bob
PS I am rebuilding it as we speak and adding a fan driven external oil
cooler!