<VV> Which OIL? Re: Doc opinion

Bob bgilbert at gilberts-bc.ca
Sun May 17 12:37:04 EDT 2015

Hi Timothy,
That was also part of the problem.
I had separate head gauges and an oil temperature gauge and I monitor them continuously while driving, especially when the coach is fully loaded.
However, I had put the oil temperature gauge sender in the bottom of the Otto oil pan. Several people has since told me that was about the worst possible place as the oil is probably at its coolest there.
My recollection was that the gauge was hovering just under 250F beyond which oil starts to fail. My head temps were OK so I kept on going. With hindsight I now know that the oil was 250F in the coolest area of the engine so my guess is that it could have been 300F or so in hotter areas. At 300F dyno oil has only 6% of its lubricating ability and that was all she wrote for that engine!
The crank and cam survived but I needed new cylinders and pistons. Live and learn.
Regards,
Bob