<VV> VV 46 years since the last Vair was built today - How many were built that day QUIZ

David Newell chevrobilia at yahoo.com
Tue May 19 16:46:17 EDT 2015

Hi Ed and Matt,
Thanks for asking about the last Corvairs. It sure doesn't seem like that many years have past!

I'd refer you both to the book "1969 Corvair Finger-Tip Facts" which Mark Ellis and I wrote and is still available from Clark's. Most of what's currently known about 1969 Corvair production is detailed in the book, and much of it's proprietary from my years of research.

The 51 cars a day figure on Wiki that you refer to, Matt, could only have come from our book. But whoever posted it took it out of context and didn't understand how to apply it. That number is the accelerated production rate which took effect on April 14, 1969 and included two eight hour shifts.

On May 14th, the line only ran for 4 hours when it was stopped at noon. Then at 2pm it was restarted for the press so that 5998, 5999 and 6000 could be run off the end of the line. Although we don't have the exact figure, the production for that shortened day could have only been 10 to 12 cars at the most. It was probably less, amid preparations for the press and carefully staging the parts for the last three cars.

The other Wiki figure of 3000 '69s being "hand built" is completely wrong. Again, refer to our FTF book. 2194 cars were built on the main assembly line with Novas and 3806 were built on the miniature line located in the Pilot Line area. Car #2194 is listed in the FTF car roster.

I hope this helps!

Dave