<VV> Which OIL? Re: Doc opinion

MarK Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Tue May 19 23:48:31 EDT 2015

It seems that people are making decisions here on what oil to use without
looking at the technical reasons why certain oils are better than others
and are therefore better or worse for certain uses, too. It is true that
some factory engines come filled with full synthetic. I would bet each of
those engines are broke in on the engine assembly line before installation
into the car, and the breakin oil is drained. With the advent of new
cylinder and ring materials, a fast initial breakin is possible under those
controlled conditions. You do not have those conditions!

Keep in mind you want oil with poorer lubrication properties for breakin of
the rings and cylinder walls so they rub together and knock off the high
points creating a seal. The needs for breakin are at the opposite end of
the scale than for everyday driving where the oil is supposed to protect
the parts.

I have already explained how breakin can be done without overheating or
stressing the engine. I have used this procedure many  times on aviation
air cooled engines and on Corvair engines without a single failure.

Also, your engine will be under more stress than most due to being air
cooled and in a ultravan with higher loads, plus it has larger displacement
and a potential for more power with a limited existing cooling system.

Breakin: Use a good quality high ZDDP breakin DINO oil. I used the
Valvoline VR1 205 10w30. Brad Penn has one, Royal Purple has one.  Do the
starts and runs like I described earlier to do a basic breakin with the
engine cool. Then drive on level ground up to 100 miles or so after that,
doing some moderate accelerations. Drain the oil and change the filter.

Driving after breakin: Go to your full synthetic oil. While it is known
that a lighter weight oil that flows faster through the engine cools
better, the oil must also have a high enough viscosity to maintain the
lubrication properties in higher temperatures without breakdown. In saying
that, I think Richard 1's oil article recommends a 15 w40 oil for hotter
and higher stress applications. So get the best 15w40 full synthetic diesel
oil you can buy in accordance with Richard 1's recommendations.

Make sure you have the lower shrouds off. Install the coolest range of
spark plugs you can get. Make sure you are using the correct jets in your
carburetors. I was having some overheating problems with my 64-110 with
high compression heads, and ended up with 56 jets. Some think this is too
rich, but my car gets 22.5 MPG around town and got 27.6 and won my class in
the recent 42nd Northwest Econorun, with 56 jets, but it now runs in the
proper temp range!  So, if your spark plugs were running really clean, I
would go at least 2 carb jet sizes larger and see what it does just simply
from the fact that you have 3.1L pistons and cylinders you need to feed.

Monitor your oil and cht temps in mild driving conditions. Adjust timing
and carb jets as needed to get the engine where it needs to be. Add more
stress and watch those temps closely.   I was told by several Corvair
Engine guru's that Corvair engines are very sensitive to fuel and timing.
In my case they were right. Make sure you have that right before you take
any stressful trips with that engine.

More than 2 cents but my experience.

Mark Durham
Hauser, Idaho