<VV> 140 miss update

Ralphsebrell ralphsebrell at aol.com
Wed May 20 15:38:17 EDT 2015

I took Jim's advice and removed the vacuum hose and plugged it. Ran pretty good, in town and 70 mph hiway  :-)
removed the vac advance "Bell" and it holds a vacuum. The points plate rotates. When plugged in , Back to sq one.
Distributer # 1110371   5K21  Delco

Any more thoughts?

Too much vacuum advance.  Take the vacuum line of the distributor's
nipple and
plug the rubber hose. A golf tee or #10 bolt works fine.
Drive the car around
fir a while and see if you have any of the surging
symptoms.  If that fixes it
then the easy to get 1/2 of the vacuum
advance back is to remove the hose plug
and make a "U out of a piece of
steel wire (coat hanger size) and place it one
leg of the vacuum advance
dash-pot next to the distributor housing.  That will
still allow some
advance but only about 8 degrees instead of 15 degrees.
Jim
Davis

On 5/19/2015 8:21 PM, Ralphsebrell via VirtualVairs wrote:
> This
has happened on both of my 140's. The car will start to have a small "miss", on
light throtle and light load in town. And it will get progressively worse, to
the point of bucking and kicking. Marathon hi test fuel.
> On the current one,
I just now cleaned the outside of the coil tower with brake cleaner and it
helped some, but not yet near good running. Listened to the exhaust, and both
sides I hear a "miss" ,
> I'm not a real mechanic, and noone in town wants to
touch it, nearest Vairs 1 1/2 hrs away  :-(
> Any ideas apperciated.

Ralph