<VV> Engine Bay Air temperature experiment

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Fri May 22 22:02:04 EDT 2015

Kevin,

Thanks for performing the experiment and for sharing.  I  have a few
questions and comments.  Please don't think of this as "looking  a gift horse in
the mouth."

Is it possible for you to perform the same experiment once the  seal is
installed?  Hot air and exhaust exits the engine from beneath and  the fan will
suck that hot air/exhaust into the engine compartment along with  outside
air from above.

It doesn't appear so but I don't want to "read between the  lines" of your
description.  Did you by any chance read temperatures or  have someone read
temperatures, remotely while driving?  If not, can you do  so with your
equipment?  If you had to stop, get out and access your  engine compartment to
read the temperatures, you may have irrelevant  data.  If you stop for a
while with the engine off, heat from a hot engine  will rise up into the engine
compartment and heat the air significantly.   Starting the engine will suck
the hot air through the fan and out the bottom but  I am not sure how
quickly that will happen.  Just opening the engine  compartment lid will change
readings quickly.

Real temperatures taken while driving under a number of  scenarios would be
best.  The engine generates more heat while loaded  and at higher RPMs but
the fan also sucks more air (CFM) into and through  the engine compartment
at higher RPMs as well.  Even with a hotter engine,  I suspect the air in the
engine compartment will be relatively cool while  driving at speed.

Your unshielded turbo and exhaust tubes in the engine  compartment will
skew your data too.

Again, thanks.

Doc
In a message dated 5/22/2015 4:20:22 P.M. Pacific Daylight  Time,

Message:  7