<VV> Late speedo cables

Dusty Steinberg noahsarkinc at earthlink.net
Sat May 23 13:21:15 EDT 2015

In my opinion, the speedometer cables being wrapped "in the wrong direction", is a hoax, myth, or old wives tale.  If you were to dissect a metal speedometer cable, you would find that the wire is wrapped in the opposite direction on each layer, until the cable reaches its intended dimension, so there is no way that it can be wrapped wrong, since it has wraps going in both directions.  The original GM cables had a plastic sheath inside of the outer cable housing, that when enough friction was applied to it, would melt, causing a binding of the metal cable, resulting it its breaking.  If you have a NOS cable, and pull out the inner liner or sheath, using a needle nose pliers, that NOS cable assembly should last almost forever, since the metal speedometer cable will have room to spin freely.
Paul in CT