<VV> Responses on Re: [fastvair] Water Injection Returns

frankcb at aol.com frankcb at aol.com
Tue May 26 22:37:06 EDT 2015

Mike, Tom K. used water injection into the air/fuel mix on BOTH engines.  In the u-tube clip I reference in the original email and shown below, Tom shows that the point of water injection in his gasoline powered Bonneville engine was downstream of the carburetion and upstream of the turbo compressor.  In order to take full advantage of the water's effect in the combustion process it has to enter the cylinders as WATER either liquid or vapor.  The effect is NOT due to the vaporization of the water, it's due to the temporary DECOMPOSITION of the water into hydrogen and oxygen. This process TEMPORARILY "borrows" a lot of the heat of the gasoline (or propane) combustion thereby preventing detonation but soon RETURNS the heat
as the hydrogen and oxygen RECOMBINE back into water so that the combustion process is lengthened and the BMEP is increased WITHOUT increasing the PEAK cylinder pressure.  The decomposition of the water is ENDOTHERMIC (absorbs heat)  as Tom K. describes and the subsequent COMBUSTION of the hydrogen and oxygen back into water is EXOTHERMIC (makes heat).  If you reference Harry Ricardo's original work you'll see this effect shown graphically.
    Frank Burkhard
    Boonton, NJ