<VV> Another Mystery!

Dave Leonard dave at arborlea.com
Sat Oct 10 09:45:35 EDT 2015

Hi Brian,

As others have said, check the W701028 VIN and confirm it matches the car.
You are right, all '69s should have an AC through AH suffix.  I believe a RY
is a 95/PG block.  You sure it's a Y not a V?  In any event, if the car is a
'69 Convert # 1028, it's a new one to the '69 roster, and I'd like to add it
to the list!

As to the engine, it's certainly not the one the car was born with.
According to the build date "090" (I believe it's really 09D), the body was
built in the 4th week of September on the first shift (A).  That's
consistent with the other build dates of the VINs around 1028.  I don't
think it's likely that engine would have been installed in that car by GM.
If you post a picture of the stamped VIN on the engine block, we can take a
look to see if it looks identical to a factory-stamped number.

So, either it was a Chevy-installed replacement engine (very unlikely I
believe), or more likely, someone at one time replaced the engine, put on
the 140 heads, and stamped the VIN on the block to try to "match" it to the
car.  Does the car have the unique '69 140 emblem on the engine lid?  If so,
that would help support it originally having a 140.  There is no way to tell
for sure as the engine option was not captured anywhere on the body data
plate.  Bottom line, hard to tell what's really in there.

One thing you could do is pull a plug, and look with a bore scope to see if
it has the pop-up pistons used with the AIR cars.  I believe all AIR engines
had the same pistons (not certain) which have a ~.090 raised "dome" across
90% of the piston.  You should be able to see this with a bore scope.  If
you have late smog heads, and flat-top pistons, you will have low
compression, and the car will be a real dog, but will certainly run on
regular gas :-).  If you have pop-up pistons and early 140 heads, you have,
IIRC, an engine that will not turn over. Unless you have stacked base
gaskets like I did once.

> From: "Brian" <bmoneill at juno.com>
> To: VirtualVairs at corvair.org,	 fastvair at yahoogroups.com
> Subject: <VV> Another Mystery!
>
> I'm trying to help a new club member determine exactly what is the engine
in his car. It is a 1969 convertible. The engine case has the following
numbers T0703 RY and 19W701028. The data plate on the rear frame rail
contains the following information: ST 69 10567   WRN 134282. Theon the data
plate contains the letters TR701 and the numbers 52 under the WRN. The third
line contains the numbers 090  and the capital letter A.
The engine is 140 hp but does not have a smog pump. The sheet-metal appears
to be from a smog motor. A check of the list of engine case numbers shows
that an RY block is for a 1968 140 hp smog engine. The list shows every 1969
engine to begin with the letter A. to add to the confusion is that General
Motors installed sticker in the front center of the engine compartment
stating that the engine is equipped with pollution control equipment and the
timing should be set at 12? BTDC.  The 1969 shop manual supplement shows the
timing requirement of 6?. I'm confused and any help would be appreciated. I
I should also mention that the air filter housing has what appears to be a
stock piece of tubing that connects to the crankcase ventilation hose. I've
never seen anything like that before. When the new owner took possession of
the car he said it was very hard to start. A quick check with my dial back
timing light show the initial timing to be set at 24?. Setting it at 12? has
made the
  starting much easier.

*********