<VV> exhaust stack question

corvairduval at cox.net corvairduval at cox.net
Tue Oct 20 14:55:53 EDT 2015

I don't think I ever used heat to remove one, and I sure didn't use heat to install one.

Favorite removal methods include hammer (8 oz); channel locks and hammer; slide hammer with Vise Grip attachment ( a really handy tool bought at harbor Freight 30 years ago, even got the Vise Grips there when they stocked name brand tools too); a piece of wood to fit the round hole to keep the hole round while grabbing with Channel Locks, pipe wrench, etc.

Favorite installation tool, hammer and block of wood.

Heat might make this easier, but not heating in oven, that's for seats or guides.

Others will chime in with their methods.

Frank DuVal

---- Randy Hook via VirtualVairs <virtualvairs at corvair.org> wrote:
> To change a rusted into oblivion exhaust stack on a corvair head, is it as simple as twisting the old one out with a pipe wrench, twisting out the replacement one, then put the head into the oven (when the wife is gone, of course) at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes while you've already put the new stack into the freezer for a while, then remove the head from the oven and while still hot slide and tap gently the new stack into place?  Inquiring minds want to know.  If there is an easier way, i'm all ears.

Randy (Cap'n) Hook
Hopewell, PA