<VV> oil seepage and treatment

Henry Kaczmarek dockaz57 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 17:06:40 EDT 2016

Smitty's message on the Development of RTV for automotive use is spot on.

He's also correct in "you cannot compensate for stupid".   I have not used
it at all on valve cover gaskets, but do use some on oil pan gaskets.  Not
as a sealant adjunct, but basically instead of a light coat of bearing
grease on the pan to hold the gasket in place while installing the pan.  A
very light layer, applied with the nozzle then wiped thin with a gloved
finger, 10 minutes cure time, and on goes the gasket.  Another 10 minutes
and I go for installation.  In my 22 years behind the parts counter,  I've
seen a LOT of RTV "adrift" in engines as Smitty put it.  It's much better
stuff now than 25 years ago, but still, the less you use, the better it
seems to work, and the less you'll find in the engine in places it does not
belong.

I've seen way too many water pumper engines have problems due to RTV, and
the inappropriate use of same.

Hank