<VV> "HotRod guys" & Saginaw trans info

Charles Lee chaz at properproper.com
Fri Aug 12 17:38:43 EDT 2016

Hi Seth~

Re:

"All trans were built in Saginaw"

 &

"All the HotRod guys call the regular 4-speeds by their names, T10s, Muncies
and Saginaws"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, I was always a "Corvair guy" and never was a "HotRod guy" from the
very beginning when I was lucky enough to recover from adolescent ignorance
when I had (almost) ordered a new '68 Mustang 302ci/345HP, production
limited to 500 (no, it was NOT a "Boss 302" which was 351ci/302HP, iirc!)

I drove my buddy's Corsa coupe and immediately fell in love with the car and
"got lucky" when my "special order" 302ci/345HP engine could not be provided
because Ford only needed to produce 500 of them to qualify for something or
other.

The Ford dealer tried to sell me a 427 or a 428 or even a T-Bird, but I
canceled the $5,800 order (almost half of which was for the engine!) much to
their dismay on the grounds that they could not/would not give me exactly
what I had ordered.

I bought my 1965 Corsa with the $1000 down payment, and never drove anything
since! (except rentals and a 1960 Buick Flxible hearse)

I had a LOT of fun with the "HotRod guys" leaving college campus because
there were a lot of cloverleaf corners on the route from school where I
could blow past their brake lights as they careened around the corners
trying not to tip over ~

Their cars were great in a straight line, but corners completely defeated
them, which made me a lifetime Corvair aficionado!

So, all the "HotRod" jargon is lost on me, and "Saginaw" has but one meaning
for me ;>~}.

Charlie