<VV> Corvair Powered Buggy

James P. Rice ricebugg at comcast.net
Sun Aug 28 22:57:53 EDT 2016

All: I have photographed and scanned 9 photos of the Corvair Powered buggy I
posted about a few weeks ago.  Since the scans are 2mb, they are apparently
too big for VV to handle.  So if you want me to send them to you, just drop
me a note.

Upon closer examination, the chassis is one sold by J.C. Whitney out of
Chicago, not the one I said earlier.  Went and checked my file on Corvair
powered thingies.  I forgot they did one, and defaulted after my quick
looksee to the maker I remembered.  Sorry.

It uses both front and rear LM Corvair suspensions and drive-train.  This
frame is square and rectangular steel tubes.  Appears somebody made the
extensive rear engine support to also double as a rear bumper.  Also appears
to have a couple horns welded to the front cross member which I assume had
some kind of a bumper attached to them.  Engine does not have carbs and
valve covers, so engine probably has water in it.  Tie-rod in front appears
to have been used to drag it out of someplace, as it is bent.  Definitely
has a lot of surface rust.  I did not see the chassis underside to determine
if it was good or rotted from sitting on or near the ground.   Buggy body
appears to be in good shape, which to me indicates it has been inside much
more than outside for most if its life.

Looks like everything important is there for a teardown and restoration.
But, as I previously said, it is a drag it home.   It has been sitting in
and/or outside for about 15 years, and was recently brought to the location
where I saw it.

They want $500 for it, which seems reasonable to me.  There is no title, so
bill of sale will need notarized (or whatever it is they do in these cases)
by Illinois State Police.

Owner info:  Ozone Autobody, 5525 N. Main St, East Peoria IL  61611.  Phone:
309-699-2757  Fax: 309-699-2758.    Ask for Scott or Robbie Owen.

Historically Yours,
		James Rice