<VV> Standard size piston

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Mon Aug 29 18:37:51 EDT 2016

Were the 40 over piston/jug set across from each other?   Generally
speaking, you would be well advised to match all six.  Otherwise, unwelcome
resonances could be set up.  However, like  the Porsche Boxter, the Corvair has a
boxer engine.  This means that  the pistons move in and out in pairs.  In
effect, the front pair move in  and out at the same time and the same with the
middle and rear pairs.   This is important ... The oversized pair must be
matched in the front middle or  rear positions.  Again, mismatched pistons are
not the best thing for your  engine and I would invest in 40 over
pistons/jugs for the other four; especially  considering that the engine is already
apart.  Either that or replace  the over 40 sets with standard.  However, if
you are desperate to save  the money, you might not notice a vibration with
the standard/40 over setup if  the system is set up with matched pistons
across from each other.  Keep in  mind that moving piston/rod assemblies from
place to place on the crankshaft may  cause issues with the bearing/shaft/rod
interface.

By the way, while it is apart, you may want to check the  balance of the
moving parts if you have the ability or the money to  invest.  The previous
mechanic may have taken other shortcuts.  As  implied above, you can save a
few bucks and/or some time because it is more  important to match each of
three pairs to each other than it is to match all  six.

Doc

In a message dated 8/29/2016 9:00:06 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

Message:  5