<VV> Front to Rear Brake Line / fittings

Jay Maechtlen jaysplace at laserpubs.com
Wed Jan 27 01:56:18 EST 2016

On 1/14/2016 12:55 PM, Sethracer--- via VirtualVairs wrote:
> Both the 65 and 66 Corvairs had the same single master cylinder with a
> single line going over to the brass X-fitting that mounts to/through the front
> bulkhead. That X fitting also acts as a 3-way splitter sending two 3/16"
> SAE  inverted flare lines out to the front brakes and a single SAE inverted
> flare line to the back of the car. At the back of the car, (under the  car)
> behind the rear seat bulkhead, is another T-fitting with the SAE  inverted
> flare from the front as the input and a pair of 3/16" inverted flare  outlets
> to feed the two rear brakes. In 1965, the front X-fitting used a 3/16"  SAE
> inverted flare fitting to feed the rear of the car, and a 3/16" SAE inverted
>   flare input at the rear T-fitting. The metal tube was 3/16" steel tubing,
> flared at both ends. For the 1966 model year, the front to rear tube was
> increased to 1/4" diameter. To accommodate this, the X-fitting at the front
> was  replaced with one having the same inlet from the Master cylinder, the
> same  3/16" SAE flared outlets to the front brakes, but a 1/4" SAE inverted
> flare for  the larger tube to the rear. At the back of the car, the 65
> T-fitting was  replaced with one having the new 1/4" SAE inverted flare as the
> inlet for the  new tube. The outlets were the same 3/16" SAE inverted flare as
> the 65.
>
> In 1967-69, Chevy still used the 1966 1/4" SAE tubing to feed the rear, but
>   replaced the X-fitting at the front with a pair of fittings to supply the
> fronts and rears with separate circuits.
>
> Summary - 1966 parts changed from 1965:
>
> Front X-fitting (1966 only)
> front to rear tube (Pretty much 1966-69, slight location difference at the
> front.)
> Rear T-fitting (1966-1969)
>
> I hope that clears it up!
>
>   All from memory, so - open to corrections! - Seth  Emerson

Late response - are we talking ID or OD?
My mutant '61 has 1/4" OD tubing from master cylinder out to each wheel
cylinder and to the back.
I did notice that the brake lines from my '98 Buick donor has 3/16" OD
tubing.
(approx - may be metric, afik)

But for the brakes out of the '87 Olds, it was appx 1/4 OD - I just
flared the master cyl end with double flare, and the other end with
bubble flare to match the '87's fittings.

--
Jay Maechtlen
SoCal

---