<VV> Lesson learned

Bob bgilbert at gilberts-bc.ca
Sat Jul 23 22:22:52 EDT 2016

Hi,

We had an "interesting" week. The plan was to take a day and take the 66 180
Convertible over the US border where it would be truck shipped to its new
owner in Nebraska. We ended up in "secondary" at the US border and for the
Border Security TV show watchers here we all know what that means!! To cut a
long, long story short we were asked (politely) to leave the US. It turns
out that ONLY the importer (the new owner in Nebraska) or a customs broker
can bring a car across the border. It took 2 full days on the phone, on the
computer and on the hotel scanner to get the proper documentation. By the
time we got to the border - the second time - we were well known by the
border officers as "that Corvair guy" and we got through with good humour
(humor?) and no issues.
Live and learn.

BTW, for anybody contemplating this type of transaction, it is WAY simpler
and WAY cheaper if the buyer in the US moves the car across the border. The
only Plan B is through a Customs Broker and that accelerates the costs and
the complexity of the process.

Regards,

Bob