<VV> Serious starter problem

Smitty vairologist at cox.net
Wed Jun 15 11:41:21 EDT 2016

So why wouldn't a starter always stay engaged when the battery was too weak
to turn the engine or the engine was locked up?  Instead that almost never
happens. (unless something else is wrong)
Joel McGregor
Smitty Says:  One more time.  There is a large spring in the solenoid that
is supposed to take it back to the retract position and disengage the gear.
If the copper contact disc has become tack welded to the contacts, the
spring can not pull the solenoid slug back.  As for the low battery and
welded contacts situation, that is not all that uncommon.  It has happened
to me plenty of times back when I had less money and was trying to wring the
last possible start out of a failing battery.