<VV> [fastvair] Stange Starter Problem

Joel McGregor joel at joelsplace.com
Wed Jun 29 11:11:46 EDT 2016

I am also suspicious of those jumper cables.  Most jumper cables are not large enough to actually start an engine.
I know you said you tried different starters but this really sounds like a common starter solenoid failure mode.  I just fixed one that was doing exactly this.
Sometimes the starter would engage but not budge the engine (like a hydraulic lock). Bumping the starter would eventually get the starter to work as advertised to engage properly and no problem for days or weeks

Joel McGregor

From: fastvair at yahoogroups.com [mailto:fastvair at yahoogroups.com]
Subject: [fastvair] Stange Starter Problem

"Michael Kovacs,

Two things that you've mentioned cause me to wonder if the problem is in the engine and not a starter problem. Your somewhat cryptic writing isn't clear but:

1, "spark plugs removed = engine starter turns engine over nicely"

2, "Lon,Not the exact problem until very recently. Sometimes the starter would engage but not budge the engine (like a hydraulic lock). Bumping the starter would eventually get the starter to work as advertised to engage properly and no problem for days or weeks."
Michael, has the distributor been removed during any of this? Could the timing gear have slipped? Have you checked timing with a light?

Best,

Darius