<VV> Differential pinion adjuster O-ring

Doug Mackintosh dougmackintosh at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 21 17:37:45 EDT 2016

Does anyone know what happens if the o-ring is missing from the differential pinion adjuster? This is a 4-speed manual transaxle.
I just finished reassembling the transaxle and installing it on the engine when I discovered that I did not install the new O-ring. As far as I know, there is no o-ring on it at all.
It looks like a small amount of oil may seep through the threads until the oil levels in the transmission and differential matched. I am estimating 1/4 inch between the bottom of the transfer hole (between the transmission and differential), and the bottom of the pinion adjuster threaded hole. So the transmission may drop 1/8 inch and the differential rise 1/8 inch after a long sit. Then during operation it should pump back to the transmission until proper levels are restored when it starts running through the transfer hole.
Even though it seems fairly inconsequential, I will probably try just draining both units, pulling the transmission back off, removing and reinstalling the pinion adjuster ring (with the o-ring this time) and reassembling.
Any thoughts? -- Doug Mackintosh Corsa member since 1996 Corsa/NC member since 1996, Virtual Vairs member Corvair owner 1969-1971 and 1996-on