<VV> Open debate vs Corsa's having standard 3 speed and 4 speed optional

Kent Sullivan kentsu at corvairkid.com
Mon Mar 21 22:02:45 EDT 2016

A bit more info on this topic, from this article on my website:
http://www.corvairkid.com/65-67rpocode.htm

Code L in Group 2: "This code for M20 (4-speed transmission) was not used
after 1965, which coincides, and may be related to, the change in manual
transmission design for 1966. The pre-1966 manual transmissions used
different backup light harnesses depending on whether a 3-speed or 4-speed
unit was installed. The 3-speed backup light switch was mounted near the
floor shifter while the 4-speed switch was mounted on the transmission. This
may be the reason for the code. Of note is that this same code was used on
1965-67 Chevy IIs and on 1967 Camaros; meaning that the reason for it
disappearing on the Corvair was not shared with other Chevys."

--Kent