<VV> 64 convertible top rivet removal?

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Wed May 4 00:52:01 EDT 2016

If you are speaking of the stainless steel trim around the back of the 
top, fastened to the quarter panels and panel next to the engine lid, 
they are held on by a few screws.

The snaps, except for the ones with the Phillips screw heads inside, are 
fastened to the trim and DO NOT come off usually.

To remove the trim from the body of the car, simply unscrew the Phillips 
screws, two of which are not in snaps and hide at the front of the trim 
in the quarter window area. Then with a wood block against the trim, tap 
with a hammer towards the top.

Note, on earlies, the convertible trim is two pieces (two part numbers), 
but actually four pieces are produced and two are welded together about 
4 inches back from the quarter window. This joint is usually broken at 
the weld, so you probably have four pieces now.

No drilling! Unless the Phillips head is rusted away.

This trim does not hold the convertible top onto the car. It is just 
decorative to keep the sharp edges of the body from hurting people. I 
have run many convertibles with it missing back in the "beater class" 
daily driver days.

Frank DuVal

On 5/2/2016 11:04 PM, Ignacio Valdes via VirtualVairs wrote:
> Hi, I see a set of rivets for the convertible top across the back into the
> sheet metal, do you drill those out or is there a better way to remove
> them? Also the shiny trim at the base of the rear window attached to the
> sheet metal that has the cover snaps, how do you get that off? Do you drill
> out each snap rivet? -- IV

More information about the VirtualVairs mailing list