<VV> Engine Fire Found the culprit

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Wed Nov 16 01:09:28 EST 2016

All metal wire nuts? That would defeat the purpose of wire nuts!(Quick
insulated splice for field work)    Maybe you are thinking of those
items used by electricians when joining multiple ground wires without
using green wirenuts:

https://www.elvessupply.com/Ideal-Industries-30-410-Steel-Crimp-Connector-18-10-AWG_p_291407.html?gclid=CjwKEAiAgavBBRCA7ZbggrLSkUcSJACWDexAaLhZGr7Iz4wG-I1ELZg8xezOlO93ObHqoarkojQD-xoC5q_w_wcB

If you want to join two or more wires, use an un-insulated butt splice
and put heat shrink over the finished crimp.

https://www.burndy.com/solutions/small-hydent/splices

Or do what GM did, join the wires by twisting, solder them, cover with
heat shrink. I do this building wiring harnesses for projects at work
for the military.

There are so many choices for wire. From strand count (how flexible it
is) to insulation type (Nylon, Vinyl, Teflon) and thickness. Plus the
different colors and gauges (AWG). Digi-Key and Mouser have many many
choices. Most too expensive or in 500/1000  foot rolls. 15,000 choices
of hook up wire at Digi-Key. Not helping, I know! Maybe look at the
FLAPS and Home Depot/Lowes to see what is in the wire section. If you
were closer, I could show/give you several types.

Maybe try Craig Nicol for suggestions. He make wiring harnesses out in
Iowa. Find him on Corvair Center Forum or:

http://www.racersrods.com/

Frank DuVal

Glad you found the culprit!!!!!!