<VV> Late Model Engine Install?

Carl Kelsen Arlette Pat arlettecarl at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 19 04:33:31 EST 2016

G'day everyone,
I am guessing that the following question has a simple answer and for some it's probably even routine, but for me it will be my first time at installing a Corvair drive train.

At some point in the next 3 or 4 weeks I expect to be reinstalling the complete drive train and rear suspension back into our RHD 1965 Monza convertible. I have a 4 post hoist in my garage so this should, I imagine make the task somewhat easier. My thinking is that I should approach the task in the following order:

1/ Joint up the Powerglide, diff and engine as one single unit.
2/ Install the 'single unit' into the car and secure it to the various mounts.
3/ Finally install the rear suspension and rear wheels

It seems to me that leaving the rear suspension off until the engine is installed might make engine installation a little easier and I expect that installing the suspension after the engine is in place should not cause a problem. Am I right?

Also should I remove such things as the alternator, air cleaners before installing the engine in order to allow more room?

If anyone could provide me with a step by step procedure has to how to correctly install an engine in a 1965-69 Corvair then that might save me scratching some of the powder coating on my detailed engine or worse still damaging something.

I am guessing that the rubber engine seal should attached the car and not the engine itself prior to installing.

Anyway, any help would really be appreciated.
Regards from down under in Australia
Carl Kelsen
RHD '65 Monza convertible