<VV> VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 142, Issue 32

Carl Kelsen Arlette Pat arlettecarl at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 27 20:59:33 EST 2016

G'day Randy,

RE: INTERIOR COLOURS (Response to VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 142, Issue 32)

Using correct interior colours, is in my opinion, perhaps the most common mistake that many people make when restoring or repainting a Corvair. The mistake is particularly noticeable as Corvairs have more exposed interior painted surfaces than most other cars.

The early 1960s GM USA paint codes are next to useless now as the paint formula has changed so much over the years. Mind you in Australia where I live USA paint codes are of no use. Our Corvair like yours has a red interior.  so here's what I can tell you.

1/ DOORS AND SIDE PANELS:
The exposed metal on interior side of the doors should be semi gloss (red in your case) and red colour should be a very close match to the vinyl door trims. This semi gloss interior red is meant to simulate the vinyl trim or in other words suggest that the vinyl extends to the base of the side window.

2/ DASH BOARD:
The dash panel should also be be semi gloss red but a slightly darker red than used on the doors. This follows for all 1950s and 1960s GM passenger cars.

For example, on a red car with a red interior, the red interior colour differs from the external red body colour. GM never used outside colours inside on ANY passenger cars. Only commercial vehicles and trucks had exposed interior metal finished in outside colours.

To match the correct dash a colour a fellow Virtual Vair Member very kindly air mailed me a small section of an original red late model dash. From this sample section of dash we were able to mix up the correct interior red colour using modern paint.

Living in the USA means it's a whole lot easier for you to obtain a sample of a red dash (say an ash tray door or such) and I genuinely believe that this is the ONLY way that you can get the correct colour for your car.

The paint selection web sites in my experience ignore interior colours totally and sadly many Corvair restorations simple use outside colours inside which looks terrible to my eye.

Hope the above helps?
Regards
Carl Kelsen
Right Hand Drive 1965 Monza convertible