<VV> Alternator/voltage regulator problem

Michael Kovacs kovacsmj at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 27 08:56:23 EDT 2016

   I noticed that my voltage meter climbed up to 16-17 volts. I was only a few miles from home and so I turned on the lights and the voltage fell to about 14-15. .When home the alternator was very hot.  I noticed that the voltage dropped down to battery level at home ie. no charge. Assuming that the alternator was shot. I replaced it with a good one. The results were about the same but now same too high voltage. I rigged another good regulator in and now al looks normal with 13-14 volts.  COULD THE BAD VOLTAGE REGULATR HAVE BURNED OUT THE ALTERNATOR?