<VV> instrument lights

FrankDuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Thu Aug 17 21:26:21 EDT 2017

Close, except the resistor is connected to +12 volts, not ground! See
1961 shop manual figure 8-72. The resistor element is in series with the
instrument lamps. It is this way on most every GM car from way back into
the 80s.

+12 Volts - variable resistor - lamps - ground.

The instrument lamps ground at each lamp.

Yes there is a switch also at the front of the headlamp switch that
grounds the dome lamp circuit when the knob is rotated CCW. This is also
the minimum resistance of the instrument lamps circuit. The whitish
plastic cam in your picture activates this switch.

Frank DuVal