<VV> Late model engine installation

Arlette Pat & Carl Kelsen arlettecarl at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 11 15:18:39 EST 2017

G’day everyone from sunny Australia where we have just started on Summer!

I apologise if I have asked the following questions before? But I would like to clarify my understanding of Corvair engine installation, particularly as this will be my first attempt at a Corvair engine installation.

In the next few days I will be installing my completely restored engine and complete drive train including the rear suspension back into our right hand drive 1965 Monza convertible. Here are my questions:

1/
The engine is currently bolted to an engine stand. I am of the view that with the help of two of my friends, the three of us should be able to lift the engine off the engine stand and on to the transmission lifter that I intend to used.

Question:
Do you think 3 healthy (66 year old) Australians could lift a fully assembled Corvair engine?

2/
I will of course install the engine, differential and transmission as a single unit. And I intend to do this in the following order.
A) Install the engine/transmission assembly.
B) Install the rear suspension assembly.

Questions:
Should I install the rear suspension first, before installing the engine? It seems to me much better to install the engine first, but I wonder what everyone views are?

Kind regards from ‘down under’ in Australia
Carl Kelsen
RHD 1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza convertible
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia