<VV> fair price for turbo/carb/aircleaner?

mark at noakes.com mark at noakes.com
Sun Feb 5 07:49:26 EST 2017

While I know it won't be my final engine, I've nearly decided to go
ahead with a turbo 180 motor for my 66 just for the experience. I
already have a nice 180 engine, but it's missing the air cleaner, turbo,
and carb. My brother has a nice setup that has been sitting in clean,
dry storage for about 30 years. Externally it looks excellent, but I'm
sure it will need a complete rebuild.

What's a fair market price for this hardware? I don't want to short my
brother, and he doesn't really know.

The 180 turbo is just an interim, and I'll probably sell it when I'm
done with it. First I need to just get the 110hp going again that is in
the 66 now...#6 cylinder has an issue that might be anything from simple
to very serious. Longer term I want to go with a 3+ liter engine in that
car, probably non turbo. I've built quite a few Corvair engines, but
they were all in the distant past. These days time is more a problem
than money (worked an 80+ hr week the week before last...at age 60), but
I generally only want it if I do it myself so things take me forever. I
will, however, need to farm out machine work.

Mark