<VV> Convention trip notes

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Fri Jul 7 22:35:13 EDT 2017

Hi folks,

We're back home and unpacked from the grand adventure to Independence!  HACOA put on a great convention and Ellie and I had a really fun time.  Matt already mentioned that we did well at the autocross, our '66 didn't miss a beat and the new oil pan worked well to keep the dread lifter clatter to a minimum.  I'm going to write up a page for the baffles, they just weld on to a standard pan so will work well for the stock look folks too.  I think a deep pan with baffles is a better choice for a more modified car, but this works well for the intended "once in a while" use.

This year the plan all along was to tow a Corvair, in turned out to be the '66 (the '62 wagon is waiting on a fan bearing).  On the way out we didn't really have a lot of extra time, so for the trip back we took an extra day, starting with a drive around Independence.  After loading up, we hit the road and passed the Gateway Arch in St. Louis, then our next stop was in Sturgis, Kentucky for a little browsing in the antique mall.  A lot of the stuff there was newer than the Corvair, but I guess that's to be expected these days :-)  After spending the night visiting friends in Spring Hill, our final tourist stop was in Knoxville, we had lunch on the square at a place we recalled from the 2015 convention.

The really fun and interesting part was with the 'dip' on the car and it sitting on the trailer, we got a lot of comments about our "cool show car" at our stops.  That took a little getting used to, since Trevor sprayed the dip on there just temporarily until it gets painted, but we were still happy for the positive comments.

As always, it was great to see our friends from all over having fun with their cars.  Hopefully we'll do it again next year in Pittsburgh!

--Bryan

Bryan Blackwell | Springfield, Va. | bryan at skiblack.com | http://autoxer.skiblack.com/
CORSA Eastern Div Director
  Corvairs: '62 700 Wagon, '64 Greenbrier, '65 Corsa, '66 Corsa
  '69 Road Runner, '99 Neon R/T, '00 Miata SE, '09 Ford F-150