<VV> 1965 Vaccum Hose 'T' connection ?

Arlette Pat & Carl Kelsen arlettecarl at hotmail.com
Tue May 2 17:40:07 EDT 2017

G'day everyone,
Firstly I want to sincerely thank everyone who took the time to answer my recent question concerning vaccum hose placement on Corvair engines. I am pleased to report that with this information was very helpful and as a result I have now, with the exception of one hose, successfully completed the reassembly of all hoses.

However, there is still one remaining 'T' shape hose connection that dispite reading and re reading all the Corvair material I have and looking at every Corvair engine photo that I can find in the World Wide Web, I have not been able to establish where the vaccum hose should run from this 'T' connection.

Our Corvair is a 1965 model. It has the 110 hp engine, automatic transmission and is equipped with factory installed air conditioning. The A/C condenser fits flat across the top of the engine fan, but I am certain most who are reading this already know this.

As a factory A/C car our Corvair is fitted with a vaccum operated 'step up motor' that's designed to increase engine RPM when the A/C is running and the engine RPM is low. A vaccum hose runs from this step up motor and connects via T connection to the existing vacum hose on the right hand carb.

The vaccum hose leading from the step motor however has a second 'T' connection which allows for an additional vaccum line. I have the 'T' connection and can simply reinstall it, but I can't see where this extra vaccum line would run or why its used?

I have seen photos of the engine in other 1965 air conditioned Corvairs and they all have this 'T' connection close to the step up motor but the photos are not clear enough to show me where the vaccum hose runs from this 'T' connection.

I expect another factory air equiped1965 Corvair would provide the answer. Maybe even 1964 models are the same? But 1966 and later models used a different step up motor and condensor so it has to be a 1965 or perhaps 1964 model.

The 1965 Corvair Assembly Manual and 1965 Chevrolet Accessory Installation Manual don't showing anything about this vaccum hose. In fact the Accessory Installation Manual for 1965 has nothing on Corvair A/C !

Does anyone on this list have a 1965 (or possibly 1964) Corvair with factory air? Because such a car might provide me with an answer to this question.

Kind regards from Australia (the land of few Corvairs)
Carl Kelsen
1965 RHD Corvair Monza (A/C equipped) convertible