<VV> Fans

Kenneth Schifftner scrubbr at ix.netcom.com
Thu Nov 16 14:50:40 EST 2017

With industrial duty fans, the fan speed range is set by the fan wheel characteristics and the Fan Laws. Harmonics are to be avoided. A book called “Fan Engineering” explains these details. What is usually done is design adjustments are made to the fan width and diameter but the speed is selected to avoid the harmonics. Another factor is noise…more blades (usually) more noise. Radial bladed fans such as the later model fans are inherently inefficient (but easier to mold) so Kevin’s design looks like a way to improve the efficiency. Go for it!

Once Kevin gets the fan running, these things will become apparent. If I were doing this, I’d keep the pulley diameters the same but tweak the wheel width and diameter to suit the desired performance. Might take a few iterations but the potential is there!

Sure, a proper width “loose" belt usually works for most, but what’s the fun in that?

Ken Schifftner
RMC, PPCC, SDCC, NJACE