<VV> 65 Monza 110hp engine question

Larry Forman larry at forman.net
Mon Nov 20 22:29:38 EST 2017

Last August my wife and I went to Reno's Hot August Nights car auction
and I drove away with a midnight blue 1965 Monza PG convertible and
decided to make that my daily driver.   It was claimed to have only
5,000 miles on an engine rebuild.   The oil was black and once changed
to synthetic the valves quieted down and CHT gauge reading went down
about 20F, still well under 350F .  The car and engine runs fine and I
checked the engine compression and it was generally around 125 lbs.
except for #4 that was about 100 lbs.  I still need to squirt some oil
in there and see if rings are to blame or maybe a valve guide.

The spark plugs were Autolite 425s that are only 1/2" reach, so I
changed them to Autolite 65s with the correct 3/4" reach and ... the
engine immediately had a knock.   Removed the plugs and sure enough #6
and #1 had the ground electrode hit by the piston top.   A couple of
others had the piston top kiss the cylindrical end part of the spark plug.

Comments please!    I am assuming that someone might have "adjusted" the
base gasket or somehow changed the head relative to the piston, perhaps
by milling it to make it flat without compensating for the base
gasket?   I am also concerned that the valve geometry is way off.   Any
ideas what happened when the engine was rebuilt and what else I should
be concerned about?

The good news is that it runs fine and makes a very fun daily driver.
Positive comments nearly everywhere I go.   Certainly not what I was
used to with my 2015 Honda Accord, which has now been sold without any
regrets.

Thanks for any help.

Larry