<VV> Oil temperature?

Jay Maechtlen jaysplace at laserpubs.com
Mon Oct 23 01:04:27 EDT 2017

On 10/22/2017 8:18 PM, Matt Nall via VirtualVairs wrote:

> Chevrolet said that max safe Corvair oil temp was 280F.
>
> Bob Helt

> And as far as I have read... Modern oils  MUST withstand sustained temps over 240 F   for OVER 24 hours....
>

> Matt Nall
> Charleston, Oregon
> http://tinyurl.com/The-Corvair-Patio
>
> http://tinyurl.com/Matts-Tech-Pages

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/engine-oil-temperature/

short answer from that article:
A quality conventional motor oil will tolerate oil sump temperatures of
up to 250 degrees, but starts breaking down over 275 degrees. The
traditional approach is to try to hold oil temperatures between 230 and
260 degrees.

I don't know what Chevrolet was thinking re 280 degrees - maybe that
normal oil change would be ok if it didn't get that hot too long or too
often?

And - you do want to know the hottest temp the oil gets to, 'cause
that's where it will be breaking down, right?
It might also be nice to know the temp going into the bearings, as that
would tell you something, maybe...

--
Jay Maechtlen
SoCal