<VV> 1968 Monza 140 4 speed Convertible for sale

Jack Kean jkean at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 18 21:04:16 EDT 2017

1968 Corvair 140 4 speed Convertible for Sale; Repainted with factory
Evening Orchid

Bought to become a daily driver 13 years ago. Plan was to finish it with
rebuilt suspension/steering/brakes, but life (family, then cancer) got
in the way.

Originally built by John Polacchi (Manton, California) with a slight
custom applied (gas filler in trunk, door latches from 49 Lincoln, some
removal of trim). I picked it up from a third party near Santa Barbara
California with a "fresh" locally built engine, and new convertible top.
A good 25 foot car. Always garaged. Have some of the history of the car
from the original owner.

Car devoured the OT10 cam shortly after I purchased it in 2004, which
abruptly changed my plans. Sat in my garage for a number of years, then
underwent rebuild of engine (with some advice from the late Ed Corson):
  - 10/10 nitrided crank, 040 Forged pistons, recon rods with Arp bolts,
h/p oil pump, deep seat heads (Fumio Fukaya), new valve train, including
NOS factory 304 cam, balanced, real Dale distributor with Pertronix,
SafeGuard knock control system, deflashed, all oil passages deburred and
cleaned up (case halves, rear housing, crankshaft, ...), rebuilt
carburetors, high output alternator, new plug wires, mounts and
bushings. Probably more stuff than I remember at this point. Never got
this engine completely sorted out.

New fuel tank, including all hoses and sender, and external front mount
electric fuel pump with inertia sensor and fuel pump controller (by
David Heath). Rebuilt pressure plate (Larry Claypool), real Dale bolted
flywheel, American aluminum 16" wheels with tires that no doubt will
need to be replaced. Factory adjustable column (pre-1968 version) with
decent wood steering wheel. 3.27 open differential, with Saginaw
transmission. Corsa dash (working clock and factory CHT), with Autometer
gauges below center console, plus dual CHT (still in box). The
non-factory interior is nothing to write home about. Top was new in 2004.

This is a complete car that ran and had proper registration/inspection
when I stopped driving it in 2013. This is not a barn find.
Engine/transaxle needs to be sorted then onto suspension, brakes,
steering and finally the interior. Most parts listed as new were
purchased and installed prior to 2010. The car has not been driven more
than a few thousand miles (or less) since then.

$5000 (a small fraction of what I have in it); includes all parts that I
have acquired and a correct CoverCraft Corvair car cover.

Second time I have sold everything and "left" the Corvair family (sold
everything I had in 1991 to Chris Langley). Car has always been garaged
in Arlington, Texas. I will find a picture or two and post them.

I need the space to park my new 435i convertible.

Someone needs to be driving this car when it turns 50.

Jack Kean Arlington, Texas