<VV> Running motors after LONG term storage

N2VZD at aol.com N2VZD at aol.com
Mon Sep 25 16:30:45 EDT 2017

I have found interesting things when looking into starting motors after
long term storage NOT properly prepared. The first thing I would do with it is
 to drain the oil and look at it carefully. I have found in more than one ,
the  crank shaft develops rust particles after it dries out , which are
very gritty.  Maybe the filter would catch it , but not sure. All I know, is it
looks  nasty.  It would not look good on bearing surfaces. I think these
motors  were stored more than 10 years , had very clean innards when I opened
them up ,  but the grit was laying below the crank , and the crank had a lot
on it. The  cranks were cleaned at the machine shop , and were like new
measurement  wise.
  So I am reluctant to start a motor that has been sitting a long time
(8-10 years? or more) without pulling the top and looking. Might save a lot  of
damage to nice parts.
  I recently acquired several motors that have been stored a long  time.
They are from estate sales in this area. I will take them apart before  trying
to run them , and take pictures. That will be one of many of  my  winter
projects.
Regards, Tim Colson