<VV> 1965 model tail light wiring?

Dale Dewald d66dewald at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 09:16:44 EDT 2018

On 8/1/2018 06:57, Arlette Pat & Carl Kelsen wrote:
> G?day everyone,
> I feel like a  complete ?fool? asking for advice about the following as it should be simple to resolve but here I go....
>
> I have a Clarks Corvair supplied rear tail light wiring harness, which from all account appears identical to one its replacing.  I have NOS tail lamp lenes which are attached to NOS backing plates. All is in perfect condition.
>
> However, I am finding the globe holders very difficult to ?push? into the backing plates. Interestingly the reversing light globes holders push in without difficulty but the stop / tail light holders simply refuse to push into place no matter how hard I push, turn or position them on to the backing plates.
>
> I have tried and tried to get them to fit but am concerned that if I push any harder I will damage / bend some components.
>
> Is it that these parts are simply very hard to fit when new and I should I just keep trying or am I doing something wrong?
Hello Carl,
The stop/tail/turn plastic lamp holders are indexed to align the bulb
filaments perpendicular to the rear, so that the full length of the
filaments are "seen" through the lens from behind.  Look closely and you
will find a small tab on the plastic lamp holder and a matching notch in
the round hole of the metal tail light assembly where the lamp holder
fits in.  You almost have to remove the tail light assembly or use a
mirror to see the notch.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI