<VV> engine problem

jryall at juno.com jryall at juno.com
Wed Aug 15 11:46:31 EDT 2018

I looked at this engine this morning.  The heads do not match.  Head
casting number 3883863 fits OK.  The other head, 3856759 has the push rod
tube fit problem.  The head gasket surface is 0.060 deeper into the head
than the -63 head, and the surface where the push rod tubes sit is 0.125
deeper, causing the tubes to be  high.

My old Tech Manual does not list 3883863 (the head that fits), but other
sources call it 65-67 110 hp, no smog.

The manual calls head 3856759 (the head that does not fit) 1965 110 hp,
no smog.

I realize that we need to have matching head casting numbers, but does
anybody have an idea as to why the thickness of he heads are different?

John Ryall