<VV> Turbo Carbon Seal wear limit

Doug Mackintosh dougmackintosh at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 4 17:43:36 EST 2018

Does anyone know a wear limit guideline for the carbon seal on the Corvair turbo seal assembly? The service manual says to check for "excessive wear" but never gives a spec. I have never seen a new seal so I don't know how it starts out. The one in the turbo on my daughter's Spyder appears to have about 1/32" left on the seal face that contacts the mating ring before it would be worn to the metal part. I did not measure it when we put it together 120,000 miles ago, but I don't remember it looking much different.
-- Doug Mackintosh Corsa member since 1996 Corsa/NC member since 1996, Virtual Vairs member Corvair owner 1969-1971 and 1996-on