<VV> Need a couple of things / No dashlights

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Tue Dec 11 22:08:28 EST 2018

Matt, I rarely catch you being wrong on electricity, but today I did.

The dash (as in instrument lights) lights on every Corvair (and probably Corsair also) are grounded. The hot comes from the headlamp switch through the rheostat. The part of the rheostat that grounds the dome lamp circuit is separate from the dash light circuit.

See 1961 shop manual (or any GM shop manual at least through the 90s) and you will see the little ground symbols on the dash lamps. Page 8-25 in the 61 manual.

Frank DuVal