<VV> What it's like in salt country

Steven J. Serenska corvair at serenska.com
Sun Feb 4 13:37:31 EST 2018

It was a balmy 19 degrees yesterday here in New England just before
noon, so I decided to take a walk to the post office instead of driving.

The photos below are evidence for anyone from the southern or western
states who've ever wondered why those of us in the north take our cars
off the roads from November through April.

The first photo shows a street by a row of small boat- and sail-making
factories around the corner from our home.  Compare the color of the
overall road surface to the areas where there are a few puddles.  The
color of the road is normally the color of where the puddles are.  The
second shows what the salt build-up does to hubs, rockers, and bumpers.

There was actually an absolutely white area on the road just behind
where these photos were taken, but it was partially in and out of the
sun and I'm not good enough with these devices to know how to apply the
correct filter(s) to sort it all out.

There's a reason why many ads say "original California car" or
"rust-free Arizona parts".  If you're looking at a car from the north,
look for the words "always garaged".

Go Patriots.

Steven "salty" Serenska
Bristol, Rhode Island

1965 Monza Convertible, 110/4, in the garage
1966 Corsa Coupe, 140/4, in the garage