<VV> Virtual Vairs Vol. 157 Issue 12--Rocker Studs

hallgrenn at aol.com hallgrenn at aol.com
Sat Feb 10 12:45:13 EST 2018

Ignacio,

I agree with Matt that you can just torque down the rocker stud if it freely comes loose on an engine that you know and have worked on (I've done it), but as you are still learning what its history is I'd recommend that
(once it is off) you chase the rocker stud threads with a tap to be sure they are clean before you torque it back down using a six point socket to minimize the chance of rounding the thin flats.  Once you have done this it probably won't turn the next time you have to loosen the rocker bolt to adjust the valves.  If the threads aren't clean and smooth they can bind and twist the other end of the engine stud out of the case.

If you don't already have a tap and die set this is an excuse to get one.  Some day you'll need it for your Corvair.

Bob Hall