<VV> Jay Leno and the Yenko Stinger

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Thu Jan 18 14:46:22 EST 2018

Hi folks,

Understand that a Yenko Stinger and a Corvair are two different things from an SCCA perspective.  Yenko actually was the manufacturer and did the homologation for SCCA racing, not Chevy.  So no, the turbo wasn't legal because that's not the way Yenko built it.

Which leads to - why not the turbo?  In short, longevity and development.  A Corvair turbo engine will overheat if run for an extended period, Chevrolet engineers knew this but reasoned the driver would run out of road first.  The 140 was more of a known quantity - turbos were exotic in 1966 - and had a better known development path.

--Bryan