<VV> Freeing a stuck motor.

Robert Marlow, Vairtec Corporation vairtec at optimum.net
Wed Jun 20 13:28:48 EDT 2018

Ignacio, I am with you on "the old college try" -- I simply enjoy seeing
whether a stuck engine is truly stuck or merely in need of a little
persuasion.

In addition to putting a solvent/lubricant in the cylinders as you have
done, I overfill the crankcase with diesel fuel and wait a week.  I then
use a breaker bar that I made from a 4-foot piece of flat stock, drilled
so as to bolt to the crank pulley or balancer. Using a wrench on the
pulley/balancer bolt is often too weak a grasp on things, and it can't
be turned both ways like a bolted bar can.

When enough time has passed to be ready to try to turn the engine, I
take baby steps:  A little tug clockwise, a little tug
counter-clockwise, repeat.  Note, when the engine finally does turn, be
prepared for a very impressive stream of your solvent/lubricant to be
ejected from the spark plug holes.  By "be prepared" I mean this can
shoot several feet!  Plastic drop cloth over the engine or something.

--Bob