<VV> 61-65 4-speed front mainshaft bearing oiling

Doug Mackintosh dougmackintosh at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 1 15:16:37 EDT 2018

I know there are some smart folks out there. Does anyone know how the front mainshaft bearing gets lubricated on a 61-65 4-speed transmission. Clarks includes instructions with the bearing to leave the rear shield on the bearing, only removing the front shield to expose it to oil. I have not been able to figure out for sure how the factory did it; the front bearings I have pulled out of the transmissions I have rebuilt have no shields, but I don't know that they were unmolested before I got to them.
It looks to me that the only source of oil to the front of the bearing (other than general sloshing and splashing of oil through the small hole near the bottom of the front cover cavity) is the path through the 3-4 synchro hub slots, across the thrust face groove on the front of that hub, axially along the clutch gear needle bearings, between the clutch gear / input shaft spline interfaces, and out the end of the clutch gear into the front cover cavity.
The normal oil level (not accounting for whatever level increase results from pumping from the differential during operation) is slightly below the bottom of the bearing, so it will not be bathed in gear oil.
It seems to make sense to me to leave the shields off so normal splashing and sloshing within the transmission can bathe the rear side of the bearing in oil (which is apparently how the rear bearing is lubed as it has a shield on the rear but no shield on the front facing the inside of the case).
Anyone know how this works? What do you guys do with the front bearing shields?
Thanks!
-- Doug Mackintosh Corsa member since 1996 Corsa/NC member since 1996, Virtual Vairs member Corvair owner 1969-1971 and 1996-on