<VV> Help removing the pg dash shifter knob on '68

Robert Marlow, Vairtec Corporation vairtec at optimum.net
Sun Oct 7 10:55:57 EDT 2018

On 10/6/2018 6:40 PM, D Olson via VirtualVairs wrote:
> Hi,
> I am trying to remove the dashboard on my '68 and having a difficult time
> trying to remove the dash shifter lever knob.   Any suggestions would be
> really appreciated.

David, I've not see any public responses, although you certainly may
have received private ones.

IIRC it is not necessary to remove that knob in order to remove the
instrument cluster from the car; the entire Powerglide shift lever
assembly will come out with the cluster.  The shift cable and the
electrical connector on the back will have to be disconnected.  Not the
easiest task, it would help to have the miniature Kevin Harvick from the
TV commercials to climb back there.

It is necessary, or course, to remove that knob if you want to remove
the Powerglide shift lever assembly from the instrument cluster.

How does it come off?  By yanking on it with considerable effort. It is
simply glued on, on a slightly barbed shaft.  Its removal will make it
less of a snug fit when it is re-installed, so a little care in removal
will help with the subsequent re-installation.

--Bob