<VV> what the hell was that? / Continued

FrankDuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sun Sep 16 10:16:59 EDT 2018

"a friend at a local body shop said they, more than likely because of
their ages, would total them both."

The term Total is an economic term. It has nothing to do with the damage
being repairable or not. It has nothing to do with not making it safe to
drive again.

And you state the Mercury has no collision insurance, so your insurance
company will not state it is a total. If a body shop says they are
totaled, that just means they do not want to fix them. Period. Back in
my day we fixed many a "total" if we could make money on it. OTL is
slang for Obvious Total Loss, meaning someone looked at the car (even
just in pictures) and without writing a real estimate, decided the
repair costs were higher than ACV (actual cash value) less salvage value.

Nowadays there are title rules concerning "totals", so just do not let
the insurance company buy the car from you, as that is when the title
gets branded. Then again, who cares if a Corvair has a branded title?
You can still drive and enjoy it.

Start collecting sales information for similar Mercurys and Corvairs so
you will be armed with ACV values you find from actual recent sales.
Then you can make sure you get treated properly (economically) by any
insurance company involved. Be forewarned by being forearmed!

If you do not want to repair your cars, that is YOUR decision alone! Do
not let insurance companies or shops not interested in repairing them
make your decision for you.

Frank DuVal