<VV> Electrical Problem

FrankDuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Mon Apr 1 00:04:25 EDT 2019

The 4" heater hose (duct) shorting to the positive terminal of the
solenoid is a direct short from battery hot (connected to the post on
the solenoid by a 6awg wire) to ground. No need for the ignition switch
to be on. Hose smokes from the steel wire glowing red until it starts
the fire.  No "electrical smell", just fabric/grease burning.

This is why the early models had the foam collar on the hose, and late
models had the hose bracket, to keep the hose away from the starter
solenoid.

Frank DuVal