<VV> Seized Convertible top latch

Arlette Pat & Carl Kelsen arlettecarl at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 22 05:14:44 EDT 2019

G’day everyone,
Well I am pleased to report that I now have a fully installed Clarks Corvair supplied convertible top on our 1965 RHD Monza convertible. A big job, but I am very happy with the results. Not a wrinkle, totally smooth and I am progressing well with the side glass adjustment (an equally frustrating job).

However, today when I was lowering the top one of the locking latches (above the front windscreen) seized solid in the open position. The chrome hook swings freely at an odd angle. I can lower the top but can’t lock it down on one side.

I expect that the seized locking latch is either damaged (broken) beyond repair and will need to be replaced or maybe it just needs re-alignment / assembly? Either way I expect that I will need to remove the seized latch to determine if it can be repaired or if it will need to be replaced totally.

The illustrations in the Corvair Body Service Manual suggest to me that these laches are simply held on with two bolts and can be removed easily without disturbing the top material. I certainly hope this is the case but wondered if anyone has any advice on removing / reinstalling these top latches?
Regards from Australia
Carl Kelsen
RHD 1965 Corvair Monza convertible
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia