<VV> Fw: Modified carbs performance question

Michael Kovacs kovacsmj at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 25 18:24:31 EDT 2019

  Grant,
 The only modification I've done to my carbs is to to remove the casting step between the upper and lower part of the casting. You can check the step with your finger by just feeling it from the venturi side. Usually the venturi and the throttle bore are offset a bit by cheap casting practices.

 I just use a round  fine grinding stone in a drill to carefully to clean up the two mismatched castings. I follow up with a brake cylinder hone for a smother flow. In my '69 Nova it improved highway gas mileage by 2 mpg.

 I have heard that the ventuti bore diameter can be opened up approx .015''. 50 years ago I had a friend open up the carbs on my '65 95hp .010'' It made a surprising difference in acceleration and gas mileage. Car long gone now.