<VV> Front Mainshaft bearing shields

Doug Mackintosh dougmackintosh at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 1 12:45:54 EDT 2019

I think I asked this question before but don't remember getting an answer. Which shields to you leave on the front mainshaft bearing? My transmission is a 1964 4-speed, but it would seem to be the same answer for any 61-65 manual transmission.
The front mainshaft bearing comes from Clarks with front and back shields. They recommend removing the front shield. All the front bearings I have removed in the past have had no shields and I am not able to figure out how the bearing would be adequately lubricated with just the front shield removed, unless the oil level rises above the normal level enough to reach the bearing.
-- Doug Mackintosh Corsa member since 1996 Corsa/NC member since 1996, Virtual Vairs member Corvair owner 1969-1971 and 1996-on